Do you have concerns about the fact that fluoride is in the water you get from your tap, and in a lot of dental products available at the drugstore?
Before you make up your mind, make sure you have the facts!
As your trusted family dentist in Howell, Michigan, our team at Dr. DiStefano & Associates wants to make sure that you have all the information about products you can buy right at your fingertips.
Myths About Fluoride
- “Fluoride doesn’t belong in the drinking water.”
- “Adding fluoride is forced medication.”
- “We can already get fluoride in toothpaste, so we don’t need it in our drinking water.”
- “Fluoride is especially unsafe for small children.”
The Facts About Fluoride:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fluoride occurs naturally in water, though rarely at the optimal level to protect teeth.
- Many scientific studies and reviews have recognized fluoride as an important nutrient for strong, healthy teeth!
- Fluoridated water is the best way to protect everyone’s teeth from decay, and communities use guidelines from the CDC to regulate the amount of fluoride needed in the water to promote good oral health.
- Getting enough fluoride in childhood is important to strengthening our teeth for an entire lifetime, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics!
Looking For More?
If you have more questions about fluoride use and regulations, please talk to your dentist! We can recommend products to use for added fluoride and ease your concerns about excessive fluoride use, especially for small kids.
Call your family dentist in Howell, Michigan today to find out how we can help, or visit our website for more information!