Is one of your New Year’s Resolutions to start going to the dentist more often?
Are you looking for things you can do in between appointments to make sure your mouth is as healthy as possible?
You’re not alone! Many Americans put health issues at the top of their New Year’s Resolution lists every year, and we want to make sure that you know what you can do at home and on the go to make sure your teeth are as healthy as possible.
Here are five things you can start doing to improve the health of your mouth and teeth in 2016:
- Drink more water! You already know that water is good for you, but did you know that water also helps to wash away acid-producing foods from your mouth? Keeping acid off your teeth can help protect the enamel against erosion.
- Try sugar-free drinks and chewing gum! Make the switch to sugar-free drinks and sugar-free chewing gum in 2016. Sugar-free drinks can help wash acid producing food from your mouth and reduce the risk of cavities. Additionally, according to WebMD, chewing gum “increases the flow of saliva, which helps neutralize acids in the mouth, protecting tooth enamel.”
- Eat more cheese and milk! This one might sound a little out there, but cheese and milk can help protect your tooth enamel and ward off cavities. They both encourage saliva production and the protein and calcium in both those foods can buffer the acids in a lot of foods, protecting the enamel of your teeth from erosion.
- Chocolate lovers rejoice; eat more cocoa! Also according to WebMD, substances found in cocoa can dampen inflammation and help protect against erosion and decay. Dark chocolate is the best choice to help your teeth, as it is lower in sugar than milk chocolate.
- Eat more fish! Omega-3 fatty acids are potent anti-inflammatory nutrients, and studies have shown that people who have high omega-3 diets are more resistant to gum disease.
Looking For More?
If you want more ideas on how to change the way you eat and take care of your mouth, teeth and gums in 2016, visit our website! Dr. DiStefano & Associates are happy to be the most trusted family dentist in Howell, Michigan and are happy to help you!