Improve Your Family’s Dental Health
With Advice from Dr. DiStefano’s Howell Dentist Office!
Some days it’s a challenge to get your kids to sit still enough to eat, let alone eat something healthy.
Some foods that are known as healthy can still harm your tooth enamel.
Like, yogurt, honey and even some cereals have acid!
Being aware of which foods are acidic and ways to decrease mouth acid is beneficial to improve your families dental health.
Acidic Food. It’s Not Just Orange Juice Anymore!
Other foods/ Drinks that contain Acidic are:
- Fruit and fruit products that contain citric and malic acid
- Soft drinks contain phosphoric acid
- Fermented products like yogurt contain lactic acid
- Grapes and wine contain tartaric acid
- Vegetables processed in vinegar such as pickles, beets, sauerkraut are also acidic.
A few tricks to prevent the decay of your tooth enamel when consuming acidic food and drink:
- Finish your meal with milk or a small piece of cheese to promote saliva.
- Chew sugar free gum which promotes saliva flow.
- Get a fluoride treatment from Dr. DiStefano, Howell Family Dentist
- Use fluoride toothpaste
- Drink fluoridated water
- Snack less especially on sugar and carbs. After you eat your mouth becomes acidic to break down foods.
- Drink more water.
- If you have Acid Reflux or other gastrointestinal problems –see your M.D. for treatment
- Avoid brushing your teeth immediately after consuming the acidic food or drink. Why? The acid softens your tooth enamel and brushing could do harm. Wait at least an hour before brushing.
- Don’t swish the acidic drink in your mouth. Or perhaps, drink with a straw.
Please contact us if you have any questions and thanks for reading our blog!
Dr. Gary R. DiStefano, DDS & Associates