Real life dental emergencies happen, sometimes at the most inconvenient times. If you’re armed with a few tips to handle a few common dental emergencies, you can do a lot to minimize the damage and even save a tooth!
- Knocked-out permanent tooth? Keep it moist. Without forcing it or touching the roots, try reinserting the tooth. Alternatively, hold the tooth in your cheek, in a glass of milk, or in a tooth preservation product. Get to your dentist as soon as possible.
- Cracked or chipped tooth? Save any broken pieces and rinse them and your mouth with warm water. Apply a cold compress to any swollen or sore areas of the face and mouth.
- Toothache? Rinse your mouth with warm water and try to floss around the sore areas. A lodged piece of food can often be the culprit. Do NOT apply pain relievers directly to the area.
- Abscess? Pimple-like swelling on the gums? Because this is a potentially dangerous infection, call your dentist right away. Draw the infection out by rinsing with a mild salt water solution several times a day.
- Broken braces or wires? If a broken wire is causing discomfort, try to use a pencil eraser to reposition the wire. You can also cover the wire the dental wax. Do not try to cut the wire. Call your dentist for a repair.
To address your dental emergencies, try gentle dental in Howell, Michigan. We have time in our schedule set aside to treat emergencies and can put you in contact with dentist in an emergency after hours. Give us a call today!